Making Page Breaks Visible

One of the surprising challenges of transforming Digital Day Thoughts into a web version was making page breaks in the source material readily visible. Part of the fun (or frustration, depending on mood) of working with text in XML and XSL is figuring out the logic of hierarchy. I determined that a simple horizontal line would be the simplest means of distinguishing pages, but I couldn’t figure how to create one within the template match for the page break itself—I would have to insert the graphic lines through a template match for the poetry lines, and this proved thorny. For those who are undertaking similar “small” challenges in XSLT, I am going to include an annotated description of my XSL code here.

First, the code:

<xsl:template match="tei:l">
        <xsl:variable name="PageChecker" select="name(preceding-sibling::*[1])"></xsl:variable>
        <xsl:variable name="PageAssigner" select="preceding-sibling::*[1]/@edRef"></xsl:variable>
        <!--To check whether there are page breaks 

First Github Repository

This last Sunday, I was able to upload my first Github repository for (a beta version of) Digital Day Thoughts. It seems to be working well. The project link is here:

I’ll be curious to see how effectively this works with continued project management, especially publishing new releases. As always, the snazzy hosted version of Digital Day Thoughts is available here » [FULL POST]

Day Thoughts AND a TEI tool posted

Digital Day Thoughts, in beta form, has been posted for just under a month now, and seems to be working well. I hope to test a little more before releasing an official 1.0 version. Also looking to get the files up on Github for versioning control.

Today I added to the site a data-entry tool (“Simple Parallel Segmentation Tool“), which I created to speed up my parallel-segmentation transcription of the quarto and octavo editions of Day Thoughts. I hope it can help others; it is certainly not pretty, but it should be easily modifiable for all kinds of projects. There may be better tools in the works for parallel segmentation, but I haven’t found anything comparable to the quick simplicity of my text generator.

Thanks to my test readers. Feel free to post a comment for any » [FULL POST]

First steps…

I rolled out the first edition of the Scholar’s Grotto web site today. My next update will include a few small design changes that I am currently testing, and I will then begin populating with content. The text and interface of my first project, Day Thoughts, is in close to publishable form, at least for a beta. I need to finish the critical apparatus. General editorial principles, etc, will appear on the Grotto’s About page.

I owe a great deal of thanks to many people, but I will issue my first note of appreciation to Reclaim Hosting. Thank you for making serious digital humanities work possible for those without major (or any) funding. » [FULL POST]