Making Page Breaks Visible

One of the surprising challenges of transforming Digital Day Thoughts into a web version was making page breaks in the source material readily visible. Part of the fun (or frustration, depending on mood) of working with text in XML and XSL is figuring out the logic of hierarchy. I determined that a simple horizontal line would be the simplest means of distinguishing pages, but I couldn’t figure how to create one within the template match for the page break itself—I would have to insert the graphic lines through a template match for the poetry lines, and this proved thorny. For those who are undertaking similar “small” challenges in XSLT, I am going to include an annotated description of my XSL code here.

First, the code:

<xsl:template match="tei:l">
        
        <xsl:variable name="PageChecker" select="name(preceding-sibling::*[1])"></xsl:variable>
     
        <xsl:variable name="PageAssigner" select="preceding-sibling::*[1]/@edRef"></xsl:variable>
        
        <!--To check whether there are page breaks 
» [FULL POST]

Day Thoughts AND a TEI tool posted

Digital Day Thoughts, in beta form, has been posted for just under a month now, and seems to be working well. I hope to test a little more before releasing an official 1.0 version. Also looking to get the files up on Github for versioning control.

Today I added to the site a data-entry tool (“Simple Parallel Segmentation Tool“), which I created to speed up my parallel-segmentation transcription of the quarto and octavo editions of Day Thoughts. I hope it can help others; it is certainly not pretty, but it should be easily modifiable for all kinds of projects. There may be better tools in the works for parallel segmentation, but I haven’t found anything comparable to the quick simplicity of my text generator.

Thanks to my test readers. Feel free to post a comment for any » [FULL POST]